This is the time of year we truly focus on thankfulness and gratitude, and it’s great to celebrate all the blessings in our lives.
Gratitude is a powerful quality to have because it changes lives…yours and those receiving it from you.
That’s why I want to encourage you today to use this Thanksgiving as a springboard towards the practice of gratitude on a regular basis. We’ve all heard of the practice of keeping a gratitude journal and writing down the things you’re grateful for daily. But I believe there’s more to it than that in order to really emote the FEELINGS of gratitude. I say kick it up a notch to ”Gratitude 2.0″.
What is “Gratitude 2.0”?
It’s gratitude as a way of life, not just a practice of journaling or declaring gratitude affirmations out loud on a daily basis. While there’s nothing wrong with that, there’s definitely more to it if you are really seeking to live a life of gratitude and fulfillment.
Here are 5 ways to make gratitude a way of life (aka “Gratitude 2.0”):
- Make a Commitment. Everything starts with a decision and then a commitment. I believe gratitude is a Spiritual practice and it gains momentum over time, just like any other practice. So commit to it with curiosity as to what the momentum will bring over time.
- Get Started. Nothing ever happens if you don’t start. Start by journaling. Sit with your journal and write 10 things you’re grateful for daily. It will probably be difficult in the beginning, but do your best to surrender to the moment and jot down whatever comes to mind.
- Practice Present Moment Gratitude. Here’s where you “kick it up a notch”. As you go through your day, make a conscious effort to pause and express gratitude for the simple things in your life. It’s the little things that we tend to take for granted that we need to acknowledge, like a morning cup of coffee (“I am so grateful for this warm cup of coffee today”) or the running water for a hot morning shower (“I am so grateful to have clean running water for this hot morning shower today”). What in the present moment can you be thankful for?
- Feel Into It. It’s one thing to write it and another to say it out loud. But what really breathes life into gratitude is the feeling you have behind what you write and what you say. Express gratitude with FEELING. Really sense what it feels like to be grateful for that which you’re expressing gratitude for. This is where the magic happens! How can you tap into your feelings of gratitude today?
- Share the Gratitude. Sometimes it’s good to partner with someone as you begin this journey, not only as a form of accountability, but as a way to actually share your gratitude with another person. Reading and/or hearing what another person is grateful for can help you access your own gratitude juices more easily. The next thing you know, your list gets longer and your present moment practice of gratitude gets stronger.
So this year, don’t let Thanksgiving just come and go as just another day to eat, be merry and enjoy the company of family & friends. Let it be the start of something new & good for you. Make thankfulness and gratitude a way of life.
Practice Gratitude 2.0!
Do any of the steps towards making gratitude a way of life resonate with you? Tell me in the comments below, which one resonates the most, and why? I’m curious to know!