Today I want to talk to you about what I feel is one of THE most important things you can do for your health & happiness, and that’s CREATING RITUALS.
Oftentimes, the difference between a ritual and a habit can be confusing. But here’s my take on it:
“A ritual is deliberate and ceremonial, usually done with reverence and respect (to self). A habit is non-deliberate and can be created through the process of maintaining consistency with orchestrating daily/weekly/monthly/yearly rituals.”
This is the time of year most of us are setting resolutions; resolving to do something new, something better, or something greater to improve our lives. But what I’ve found, after MANY years of setting resolutions and failing to follow through beyond January, is that creating RITUALS is a much more effective way to create lasting change in my life. I have NO doubt this will work well for you, too!
Here are 3 Simple Steps to Creating a Ritual That Transforms Your Life:
1. Decide how you want to FEEL. If you ask me, all of your decisions should be made based on how you want to feel. And determining how you want to feel can be challenging, especially if you’re not in touch with your feelings. We get disconnected from our feelings when we become busy with our day-to-day. But I HIGHLY encourage you to start off this New Year by determining how you want to feel in your day-to-day. From there, life becomes a bit easier, more joyful, and if you do it right, immensely fulfilling. You can’t create your ritual without this most important step. Choose 2-3 and write them down.
2. Determine what you genuinely VALUE. What do you value? Your health? Your freedom? Flexibility, perhaps? If you don’t know what your values are, just think about how you go through your day-to-day. What do you spend most of your time on? If you find that you need to make some changes in this area, now is the time. Once you determine what your TRUE values are, write them down.
3. Set a SHORT timeframe to start. If you’re anything like me, you have BIG dreams and aspirations in life. When you’re a high-achiever (and big-ballin’ dreamer) you tend to bite off more than you can chew, at times. But this is usually a recipe for failure. When it comes to starting new (and sometimes scary) ventures, slow & steady wins the race. I recommend you set your eyes on a 7-day-at-a-time goal. Heck, there was a time when I set a one-day-at-a-time goal. “If I just make it through the day…”
As an example, below are my 2016 rituals based on how I want to feel and my values. And just so you know, I’m taking this one 30-day period at a time:
• 1 green smoothie daily: I genuinely value my health and I want to feel lively and whole every day. Greens do that for me, so I set a reminder on my phone as a daily prompt every morning to make my smoothie at 7am.
• Bath time on Fridays: I value peace and solitude, and I want to feel more relaxed and at peace during the week. Just knowing that I have a luxurious bath coming every Friday night gives me something to look forward to. I put this new ritual on my calendar, as well.
• Implementation Days: I value freedom & flexibility, and I want to feel mentally lighter in my business. Managing everything solo, it’s sometimes challenging maintaining my productivity at 100% 5 days a week. So this year, I’m creating a ritual of adding a day of full productivity into my calendar every week. Four (4) full days dedicated to implementation of things that I didn’t get to Mon-Thurs will no doubt help me reach all of my goals this year.
Now setting things up for yourself so they’re actually rituals and not just “to-dos” on your calendar is the key. How can you set your goals up in a way that they’re ceremonial and give reverence to your highest self? What things can you put in place to make it a “feel-good moment” instead of just another thing on your list of things to do?
Also make sure you check in with yourself and keep the ritual going if it’s working for you, or to tweak, or change it altogether for something that’s a better fit.
So tell me, how do you want to FEEL in your day-to-day walk? How can you take that feeling and make it ceremonial and in reverence to your highest self? This is THE most important thing to consider before you even think about creating a ritual. Let me know in the comments below.
As always, I look forward to chatting with you!