Did the title get you? Yay! Because this week I’m talking about a very important and common issue that women deal with when it comes to food and body. What I’m hoping is that you’ll be able to see yourself through my actions and words here, and in turn do better. Live better.
So take a listen…
I’m a firm believer in the saying “Let your mess become your message”, and I’d say for a big chunk of my life my “mess” has been eating and body issues. It all really started when I was 8 years old and kept going on as I continued to use food to soothe my mood while dealing with life’s lemons.
You can read more about my story HERE.
Back then, I didn’t know how to make lemonade from life’s lemons, instead I would just eat my way through everything. I’d also make excuses about the way I ate, what I chose to eat and how I was living my life.
Essentially, I would lie. I was lying to myself and to others about what was really an underlying issue with self-worth, self-esteem and lack of self-confidence. Here are a few of the lies I would tell:
- “I’m not addicted to sugar. There’s no such thing”
- “ I can eat anything I want”
- “ I don’t want to change”
- “ I don’t like to exercise”
- “ This is still baby weight”
Have you ever lied to yourself and others about your feelings about your weight, dieting or just life in general? Have you found yourself doing this to cover up how you really feel in your core being?
Here’s the thing: We lie to cover up the pain & frustration we feel about our inability to fully commit to ourselves.
For me, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t commit beyond 1-2 days. It was beyond frustrating.
It was embarrassing and affected every area of my life.
Nothing worked for me…until I made the decision to stop lying. Once I stopped lying, put away judgement and BECAME CURIOUS about what would happen “if…”, the pendulum of my life began to swing in the opposite direction.
So if you’re like me and you’ve been hiding behind a few white lies as a cover-up, and you’re ready to “come clean”, here are a few ways you can put away self-judgement and become curious about what’s possible for you:
- Experiment with different foods. Instead of putting yourself on one more diet, get curious and experiment with different ways of eating. Allow your body to take the lead in letting you know what it wants for fuel each meal. Listen to how your body feels when you eat certain foods, and tweak as you go. This requires intuition, and as a woman, you have a lot of it. Use it, girl!
- Take pleasure in moving your body. I’ve never been one to subscribe to the “No Pain, No Gain” philosophy. I’m all about feeling good and a fun and pleasurable way. You can achieve the results you want by feeling good, so find a way to move your body that really feels good to you. Dancing? Swimming? Hiking? Walking? Yoga? Whatever it is for you find it, do it, and keep on keeping on. You can read more about what I have to say about pleasure & play HERE.
- Stop people-pleasing. As women, we do this all too often don’t we? And what’s really crazy about the whole thing is that it rarely pays off for US. So I encourage you to find ways you can start saying “yes!” to YOURSELF more often. Doing this will leave less room to say “no!” to others if this is hard for you, so just focus on “yessing” yourself more often and allow the rest to take care of itself.
One last thing: I didn’t get where I am today all by myself. I had help.
I reached out for support. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I say it takes a tight circle of women to lift one another up.
If your heart is calling for support in the area of food, body and confidence, let’s “Get Acquainted”!
During our one on one call together, we’re going to explore:
- Your current struggles with your weight and/or your health
- What you’ve tried already in the past that hasn’t worked
- What your vision is for your life and health
As a result, you’ll gain…
- Clarity on what you desire for your life and health
- Clarity on what would need to happen in the next 12 months in order for you to be happy with your results
- Insights into why your past efforts have failed you
And, if you’d like additional personalized support in reaching your goals, I’ll also share with you next steps for working together that I feel would best serve you going forward.
Just imagine how much better you’ll feel when you no longer have to lie about the feelings you have around food and body, and finally step into the confidence you’ve always had
Click HERE to get yourself signed up!