Anyone who knows me knows I am head over heels in love with NYC. So much so that back in 2007, I left my job in Chicago, packed up my truck and drove solo 1,000 miles across the country to live there with my then boyfriend (now husband).
Was I crazy? Maybe a little bit.
But I’ll tell you this: I was at my happiest (and healthiest) while living there. I felt good in my body, walked more, ate healthier foods, and my heart was wide open to new opportunities and new adventures every day.
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rainbows and unicorns every day, but the point I’m making here is your overall happiness is what dictates your overall health.
Chew on this…
- How do you FEEL when you’re working in a job you absolutely love vs a job you dread getting up for daily?
- How do you FEEL when you’re in a loving relationship vs one you’re just tolerating?
- How do you FEEL when you’re living in a home you adore walking into every day vs one that’s drab, cramped, and messy?
Or better yet, when was the last time you took the time to determine how you FEEL about ANYTHING in your life?
As modern day women, we often go day-to-day neglecting our feelings, giving ourselves to others (jobs, kids, husband, family, friends, etc) leaving very little for ourselves, wondering why our lives feel like they’re sucking the life-force out of us daily. Wondering why our health is suffering, our weight is struggling, and we’re just on a perpetual roller coaster that just won’t stop.
But what if it wasn’t like that at all?
- You got up every morning with an intention & purpose that was the driving force for your day?
- You felt more confident in your body the way it is right here and now and never worried about dieting again?
- You intuitively chose what was right for you (food, body movement, clothes…everything), instead of making choices based on what you think you should do/be/have?
- You had more time in your day to do all the things that are important to you because you learned how to manage your ENERGY instead of spending so much energy on trying to better manage your TIME?
This is all so very much possible!
My job is to get you back to not only looking good on the outside (aka “body on fleek”), but FEELING good on the inside (mentally & spiritually). And actually, the feeling good on the inside will be a direct reflection of how you look on the outside.
You have to FEEL good about yourself right here and now before you can successfully create the body & the life that you love.
Here’s how you can get started:
- Stop “shoulding” yourself. Instead of doing things based on what you think you “should” be doing (the foods you eat, the way you exercise, etc), choose based on what makes you feel good and what brings you the most energy and joy in your life.
- Say “Yes!” more often. Most people talk about how we need to set boundaries with others by saying “No!” more often. But I say turn it around and focus more on saying “Yes!” to yourself more often. The more you say yes to yourself, the less often you’ll have to worry about saying no to someone else. There won’t be much time for that anyway! If you need inspiration for saying “Yes!” to yourself more often, check out Shonda Rhimes’ book “The Year of Yes”.
- Ditch the “food police”. The myth of “good foods/bad foods” isn’t based on science. The metabolic “value” of any food is greatly influenced by factors that aren’t inherent in the food itself, but is actually brought forth by YOU, the eater—relaxation, food quality, awareness, pleasure, etc. So you can ditch the food police mentality and focus on what really matters: eating in a more relaxed state, choosing high-quality foods, eating mindfully, and eating with pleasure in mind.
So how do you ultimately want to feel in your body and in your life on a daily basis? What small step can you take today to say “Yes!” to yourself more often?
Let me know in the comments below! Make today the start of YOUR year of YES!